Monday, December 21, 2009

My First Snow Storm

Behind the wheel.

Saturday Madelyn and I had tickets to go see The Nutcracker. Another mom from her class arranged for us to go. There were sixteen of us all together, 8 moms and 8 seven year olds. Our friends were driving to our house and then we were going to ride together to lunch and go to the show afterward.

Sounds fun right? Add to that a bunch of snow. We were okay driving to lunch. There was snow on the ground, but it had only just picked up in intensity. Well, an hour and a half at a lovely lunch and boy oh boy did the snow pick up. The roads were covered. It was crazy. I got stuck just trying to get into the parking garage. Thankfully the guy cleared a bit of snow away from my tire and I was able to gain traction.

It was no better by the time we left the show. Oh, The Nutcracker was great by the way. I was a little distracted during the first half due to the impending drive home I had, but at intermission I called Dan and he gave me pointers on how to drive through snow. I did what he told me and we had a pretty easy drive home considering the conditions. It helped that there were barely any other cars on the road. We didn't get stuck. We didn't slide off the road, and we made it home in one piece.

Then poor Serena had to drive a half hour home still. She lives up on a mountain so she had to take the long way. She made it home in one piece too though. I felt like it was such an accomplishment though. Usually Dan is the one driving when we go through snow storms, but he wasn't available at the time. I will admit though, I wanted to call him and ask him to come rescue us, but he told me we would be fine.

No comments: