Saturday, June 28, 2008

Love At First Sight?

Do you believe in it?

I was struck at the sight of Dan when I first saw him speaking before chapel at Bible College. I even said to my friend, "He's funny ... and cute!"

I don't remember seeing him again for a while. I don't know why that was, being that we attended a small school where you pretty much saw the same people regularly, but I think our schedules just didn't mesh.

Then it happened. A mutual friend of ours came to see me one night at my dorm and guess who he brought with him . I said to my friend, "That's the guy from chapel!" Dan wasn't saying much, but I decided to get him to talk by asking him about his sandals. It turns out his mom had bought them for him from Walmart :)

We ended up seeing a lot of each other after that and became good friends. There was another night that sticks out in my mind. We were going out with a group of friends and Dan had to get something from his dorm. I went in with him and was looking at his room. When he walked by me to go in he touched my back so that I wouldn't bump into him. I don't know what it was, but something happened in that moment. It's hard to put into words. I wasn't thinking about dating him at that point. He was truly just a new friend I was getting to know, but I was completely struck in that moment.

Another time we were in the library "studying" and joking around. I don't know how this even came up, but he asked me if he died would I mourn for him. It really was a funny conversation, but even after only knowing him for a few weeks I found myself thinking that I would truly be very sad if something happened to him. I couldn't figure out how I could think that way after only knowing him for such a short time.

Keep in mind we were only friends. We weren't getting together by ourselves at all. It was all with and set up by mutual friends, or if I "happen" to bump into him somewhere at school. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was falling head over heels with the man I would later marry.

It was months before we were truly dating and I remember feeling so scared because I knew that he could honestly break my heart. I later found out he was thinking the same thing. I just had never felt that way about anyone and it wasn't as though I didn't think I had been in love before.

So, love at first sight? In some ways I think it was. Does it happen to everyone? I don't think so. Relationships are hard and take work. I just think Dan and I had an instant connection. We made each other laugh from the moment we met and he still does today. We just always have a good time together. I really feel like I get to live with my best friend all the time! It's so great this forever sleepover :)

No comments: