Thursday, June 23, 2011

summer so far ... a recap

We are about two weeks into summer and this is how it has gone ... so far ...

We started things out with a fever. Poor Madelyn. She had strep, got treated, and then Elijah promptly started with a sore throat. Things go so much smoother when they are able to synchronize symptoms so we don't have to go to the doc twice in one week.

Oh. The doctor. Grrrr ... Sometime doctors are your best friend. Other times they are thorns in your side. Well, this particular doc was. I know for sure now that I need to avoid her completely.

Between those doc appts I had vet appts for my dog, and later, my cat. Because, you see, I took my dog in for shots to find out that my cat's blood work showed an illness that was treatable. Unfortunately I hadn't heard back from the vet after my first call so I figured there was nothing that could be done. Two months later when I am thinking I have to have my cat put down because he is only getting sicker I take my dog in for shots and find out he is indeed treatable.

Grrrr ... again with the docs who become thorns in your side. At least I found this out before I switched vets which is what I was trying to do that day, but when they couldn't fit Daisy in for shots before our weekend away I had to go back to the original vet. That's when I found this out.

Now Simon is being treated. Daisy is up on her shots. Molly is at the new vet now, and I have to report back to the vet who picked up the slack where the other vet completely dropped the ball. She did call and apologize in what turned out to be a 5 minute long message on my v-mail. It was all an unfortunate situation.

Okay. Enough about that. Not the best start to summer, but what can you do.

So, speaking of our weekend away, we went to Dan's cousin's wedding. They moved it up from October because her dad (Dan's uncle) was just diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. So so sad. He is the youngest of the siblings and it is so hard for everyone to wrap their brains around. He is such a likable guy. So sweet and fun-loving towards his 3 daughters, all his grand-kids, and every other pretty lady around ;) I guess you could say he is the typical "baby" of the family. It is very sad indeed.

The wedding was a nice celebration though. Jen is a beautiful girl and the family she married into seems very nice.

The evening after the wedding we went to the camp site where Uncle Don and Aunt Sally are settled into for a bonfire. The kids had a blast playing with other cousins getting as muddy and wet as can be. You gotta love the country for good times like that. They couldn't have been happier.

Sunday was Father's Day and I don't know that we have ever celebrated Father's Day with Vern so that was nice. After church we ate out and then visited with Uncle David. It was fun to hear him and Vern laugh at stories about growing up on the farm with Grand-dad, the cows and electric fences, such a different life that I will never know.

From there we went to ice cream with Robbie, Donna and the kids. Then to Bilger's rocks. It was a busy busy weekend, but good memories.

Monday we saw the Warrens in State College. Such good friends whom we love so much.

Then we were super exhausted. Even Madelyn said she was happy to be in her own bed again. She is growing up so much. I love every second of it. She still has such a cute little face that I kiss on whenever I can. She still loves to be loved on like that. Thankfully.

Since then we have kept busy, but not too much. We are still recovering from the busyness that was the end of the school year. The kids haven't even been asking to see friends. I'm sure next week they will want to do more, but for now we are enjoying our down time. You gotta love free movies for kids in the summer too. We did that this morning.

Tomorrow we have a pool party. That should be fun.

All in all, good times. And, I am quite proud of myself for resisting a kitten from Robbie and Donna again. Dealing with elderly animals is a good deterrent for getting more though. Yeesh. Getting pills down a cat's throat is not the easiest thing ever. Poor little guy.

No comments: