Friday, June 10, 2011

End of the School Year

Here we are ... finally.

While I can't believe my kids are going to be in 1st and 4th grade next year, I also thought this school year was never going to end.

Elijah had a fun Kindergarten graduation ceremony. Once the ceremony got started he promptly started tucking in his sweater vest. I picked up his 3 piece outfit at Walmart one day. I was there for something else and saw the Easter clothes for boys on sale so I grabbed it. I liked the dress shirt and sweater vest. The pants were just basic navy pants, but they only had an elastic waistband, typical Walmart. No big deal though because the shirt and vest fit well and the vest would cover up the waistband.

That is until he started tucking it all in on stage! Plus, I had to roll the waist so the pants would stay up on his skinny little body.

I couldn't help but laugh. It was all just so Elijah. If they weren't singing or reciting something he was fidgeting, tucking in his vest, wiggling around, acting on his super hero tendencies, etc. Classic stuff for a Kindergarten graduation ceremony.

I know no one else really noticed because everyone zeroes in on their own child, and really I thought it was so funny. It was a nice night.

Fast forward to today when I knew it was going to be an emotional day for 3rd graders. They recently discovered their beloved teacher was not coming back next year.

I knew I would be choked up going in to get Madelyn, and to give their teacher her gift, but I thought I would be fine.

Well, I walk up to the 3rd grade room and hear sobs. A couple of the girls were just crying and crying and hugging and crying. It was so sad. Then one boy came up to hug the teacher and he was crying. Next the teacher is crying. I am crying. It was all just too much.

We did it though. We got through another year and I am very much looking forward to the respite from the school year routine. Poor Dan still has to show up Monday morning. There is a lot to do to prepare for the next school year.

But, we have some fun things planned. First, haircuts. Madelyn and I are getting our hair cut tomorrow morning. She is getting hers cut off and is really excited about it. It is really long, but she is getting it cut chin length. I want her to have it angled a bit and stacked in the back. We'll see. Sometimes hairdressers are a bit hesitant to do all that on children. Plus, Madelyn has A LOT of hair. I think it would be cute though.

Happy Summer to us!!!

No comments: