Sunday, August 24, 2008

Vacation ...

Okay, a few thoughts from vacation ...

It was a fabulous time. We were right on the beach. I could roll over in the morning and look out at the ocean. I watched the sunrise over the ocean one morning from my bed. There's just nothing like it.

I don't know what it is about the beach, but looking out over the ocean you just feel like everything is going to be alright. Hearing the sound of the waves crashing on the beach and feeling the sand between your toes is so calming.

Of course, then you go out into the water and realize how powerful it is. I mean one riptide and you could be "outta here" on a one way ticket to heaven! ha ha ... I just thought that would be funny. Seriously though, the ocean can be so calming one minute and then so terrifying the next. But, I still love it.

God gave me many moments on this trip where I was just awe-struck. I was just stopped in my tracks praising Him for how far we've come this past year. We have had an extremely rough year and as of last month things seem to be on the up swing so this vacation was a great way to sort of celebrate that.

I had a moment where it was just me and the waves and it was so liberating. It was the first I was able to really go swimming in the ocean by myself (no children hanging on to me for dear life :) and I was able to just throw myself into the waves, ride the waves, and get washed under by the waves. There wasn't even anyone else around. It was so wonderful. I felt so free. I will treasure that moment forever. Words just don't do it justice.

Friends of ours gave us this trip. They allowed us to use their timeshare for a week. They are wonderful people and have been so generous to us since we moved here to PA. They truly leave us speechless with how thoughtful and generous they are at times. It was a Christmas gift so we have been looking forward to this trip for months and months. It's kind of hard to believe it's actually over, but it was a great way to end our summer and look forward to starting out a fresh school year.

One weird thing is that it seems we drove home right out of summer and into Fall. There is Halloween stuff up in Target already and we drove past a pumpkin patch on our way home! I mean it's not even Labor Day yet!

No comments: