Saturday, May 21, 2011

Performing and Performing with ADD

What a fun beautiful day!

We spent the whole day outside. Instead of a Spring Program TKA does an outdoor concert/festival kind of thing. It's nice.

They have fun stuff for kids, food, and performances going on all day long.

Both kids had a performance. Madelyn was a little farmer during their Jack and the Beanstalk medley, and was super cute. She did a great job. Performing is not what she loves to do, but she does it and she does it well. Elijah had 3 or 4 songs that were sung with the K4/K5 class. He too was super cute.

I was also able to help at the food stand. It was fun. You get to see all kinds of people and chat for a few minutes. That's a good time for me.

So, all in all, a great day. Just getting the fresh air made it all worth while.

Let's back up to the performances though, Elijah's particularly. Watching him perform makes me feel like I am watching myself. His mind is in all kinds of different directions. If he's not waving, he might be singing, or he is looking at his hand that is painted like spidermans to match his spiderman face paint, or maybe he is dancing to the music, or he is striking some kind of pose, maybe some more focused singing ...

You see, I sang in Chapel Choir in college. College. Our job was to sing during chapel on occasion. We would practice once a week to prepare for those chapel days. Well, that day came. We all gathered at the front of the room, started singing, I looked up, got distracted by the people and completely stopped singing. I was then looking around at all the people. Yes. Did I mention I was in college?

When I looked back at my page I could NOT figure out where we were. I can't read music so the fact that I was singing in any kind of choir is a little strange, but it wasn't the first time my friends talked me into something. Insert high school cheerleading here. Ugh.

Anyway, so I pretty much flubbed that performance due to my lack of focus. My mom mentioned a program I was in as a kid when I was young where I was putting my hands on my face making it look like goggles and I was showing my friends next to me.

However, I am not a total failure when it comes to public performances. I did perform in Barnum for a high school play where I had to juggle rings on stage, front and center. Whew! I am still amazed I didn't drop any of them during any of the 3 performances we did, not to mention the singing and dancing parts. That was fun.

So, I think the moral of this story is, Elijah and I need tasks to do while singing (ie. dancing, juggling). Otherwise, we WILL be distracted.

Can I get an amen?

No comments: