Monday, October 27, 2008

I'm Still Learning

Notice the dog ...


I caved.

But, on a different note, I totally dropped the ball. You know I've only been a parent for 6 years so I'm still trying to figure out how to handle the whole surprise aspect of gift-giving now that my oldest is old enough to figure some things out.


I remember the days fondly of being able to shop for Christmas gifts with her in the cart!


So, I mentioned the ugly stuffed dog in the last post and how I would end up at Marshalls to get it right? Well, that's exactly what I did. I also went to Ross to buy the husband pillow that will go nicely in her dormer. I was so proud of myself for doing Christmas shopping early.


I did soften on the dog though because I started to think I would just say that she was able to get it because she had some other birthday money she could use.

My original plan was to drop the stuff off at home and hide it so that she didn't see it, but I ran out of time. I put the pillow in the back of the car because I figured she never looks back there anyway.

It was fun because when I picked her up at school I put the dog in her seat so when she got in she would see it right away. She was so happy. Madelyn is very reserved so you don't get the big reaction. You get a very happy face and a quiet kind of excited sound, and it's very sweet. It's like it takes a bit to sink in.

The whole way home we talked about the dog. The dog was dancing. The dog was missing her friends, but looking forward to making new friends. The dog was getting lots of hugs. It was very cute.

Meanwhile, Elijah is sleeping through all of this.


We get home and I tell Madelyn that I'm going to take Elijah in and then come back for my purse and things. She is getting her backpack and things together to get out. When I was walking in the house I saw the package that her Aunt Pam sent her (an angel pillow just like the one I had when I was little - so sweet!) had come in the mail.

So, when I come back out I yell, "Madelyn, you have a package here too!"
To which she says, "I saw my other surprise too!"

Um ... "What?"

"My other surprise! I saw it in the back! ... The pillow!?!"

uh-oh.

"Um ... (nervous laugh) ... YOU WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO SEE THAT!!" The little stinker.

She just giggles.

"That was supposed to be for Christmas!"

More giggles. "I saw it!"
So, now I have no early Christmas gifts. Madelyn has 3 more Birthday gifts, and I'm not sure how Dan is going to take all of this. I'm just glad we didn't give her the desk we wanted to give her for her Birthday. That will definitely wait until Christmas, but I am going to have to hide it REALLY well. Hopefully, I've learned that lesson now. Oy.

The best part was that Madelyn and I giggled the rest of the afternoon. She was so happy to have a late b-day and early Christmas that involved 3 new things. She was dancing with the pillows, hugging the pillows and the dog, saying goofy things, giggling and giggling and giggling some more. It was all just really funny and fun.
And, Elijah was still sleeping.
I mean, how cute is this girl and her dog (Spottie is her name).



UPDATE: So, as the night went on Madelyn seemed to just gain more an more energy. It's not every day she gets 3 new things at once! I really am not the type of mom who just buys my kids things all the time so even a dollar store item is a special treat. She literally did 100 laps back and forth across the kitchen after dinner.

No comments: