Monday, September 8, 2008

Never Too Early

Recently, I had my Bible out and Madelyn asked me what stories were in it. I told here ALL the Bible stories were in it. Then I asked her if she wanted to read one. After debating between reading about Moses or Samson she chose Samson. (She is my born student. I love it.)

So, we sat down and read the whole story of Samson. It was 3 or 4 chapters. She was soaking it in, and what a great opportunity to talk to her about God's people and the Philistines, and also about guarding her heart in regards to who she falls in love with.

The way I see it is it is never too early to start talking to your children about love, and what character traits to look for in a mate. I mean girls especially start very young with the princess stories, and fairy tales and princes, etc. They start thinking about marriage and love at a very young age. Madelyn was just soaking it all in, and it helps that I can point to Dan as a perfect example of the type of man to fall in love with.

I do the same with Elijah, only I tell him I am the only woman that he will ever need, and as long as he sticks with me we will live happily ever after. He doesn't need to bother with all those other young girls who are going to be looking to steal his heart and steal him away from me! ... (sigh) ... He just hugs me and tells me he loves me. Ah, the mind of a 3 year old boy :o)

No comments: